How to arrive to Caño Negro by car or by bus… without getting lost
Caño Negro is located in the northern region, 25 kilometers south of Los Chiles and 30 kilometers north of Upala. You can reach Caño Negro all around year by car or by bus
Latitude North: 10°53’56.55″N
Longitude West: 84°47’9.32″W
If you travel by bus, those are some tips for your trip:
From San José to Caño Negro through San Carlos and Los Chiles:
- Bus leave from San José at 5:30 am and 15:00 to Los Chiles. A stop will be mde en San Carlos.
From San José to Caño Negro through San Carlos and Upala:
- Bus leave from San José at 7:10 tevery days.A stop will be made in San Carlos, and Guatuso.
From San Carlos to Caño Negro through Los Chiles:
- Bus leave every hour starting at 4:30 am to 22:00.
From Los Chiles to Caño Negro:
- Bus leave at Chilsaca, bus station at 05:00; 12:00, 16:30.
If you travel by car, those are some tips for your trip:
From San José (Central Valley) to Caño Negro:
- Through Cañas-Ganacaste: starting your trip from the Central Valley, reach the highway 27 to Caldera, than follows the sign to Cañas. 7 km after Cañas turn right (north) to Bijagua, than Upala. From Upala, leave the town on the way to Guatuso. After across the iron bridge in Upala, about 8 km you will find an orange hardware store, take to the left (north), from there 25 km north to Caño Negro.
- Through Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí: Selva Verde, Chilamate, Bajos de Chilamate, La Virgen, San Miguel, Río Cuarto, Venecia, Aguas Zarcas, Muelle de San Carlos, Pavón, Parque, Caño Negro.
- Through Sarchí, San Ramón or Naranjo: Follow signs to Ciudad Quesada, then to Muelle de San Carlos or Los Chiles. Alter arriving at Muelle de San Carlos (wide intersection with gas station) continue north, following the instructions given above.
From Arenal to Caño Negro:
- Starting from La Fortuna, follow signs to Muelle de San Carlos or Los Chiles. At Muelle de San Carlos (wide intersection with gas station), turn left and go north toward Los Chiles, follow the instructions given above.
- Southern Guanacaste (from the south of the peninsula to Tamarindo): Take the highway to the Río Tempisque bridge, continue north on the Pan-American Highway to Cañas and continue seven kilometers to Liberia (north). You will come to an intersection to Upala, which goes through Hacienda Tenorio, Río Naranjo, Bijagua, Canalete and Upala. From Upala, cross the metal bridge going to Colonia de Puntarenas, continue 9 kilometers and take the highway to the left to Caño Negro.
- Northern Guanacaste (from Tamarindo north): Go east to Liberia and then travel south until you get to the Upala intersection, then follow the directions given above.